Monday, November 2, 2015

I HAD TO MAKE SOME CORRECTIONS...






Hello Everyone.

As you guys may know, 2 weeks ago, I made a blog titled, "MY AMAZING CAPOEIRA SUMMER!!!" where I talked about, well, the title is self-explanatory.

Anyway, when I showed the blog to one of my Capoeira teachers, Tope, he pointed out a few errors I had made.

For instance, I said that in Capoeira Angola, We don't buy the game. In case you wanted to know what that is, and how they do it, check it out:



But when Tope read this, he sent a message to me,part of which you can read below:


I wanted to make a quick suggestion or correction in Capoeira Angola you mentioned "we don't buy games"(from your blog)...well that is not entirely true, some rituals are just dying out...or maybe systematically being removed. Regional was from the original game; buying still exist in Capoeira angola...it is just very minimal but it is actually a tradition from Capoeira angola (not pastinha's codified methodology)...there is actually "comprar de jogo" it is MOSTLY played towards the end of the ritual roda festival...meaning at the end of specific roda event...sang to the Boa Viagem (good bye) corrido; there tends to be very traditional or sister type events linked to Capoeira. Like Samba de roda or "comprar de jogo", jogo de mestres etc etc associated with this...

Thought I will share that tidbit;


And to illustrate, he sent me this video with the message:





I also said that the berimbau rhythm called santa maria was the knife game.

Well, when Tope read that, this is what he had to say about it.

Also this is a minor thing, but you did say "I could be wrong" was with the santa maria toque...I have never heard it associated with a game...well currently I should say in Capoeira Angola (in the past it was a game with marked movements...so a precision game, where one learns how to properly measure actually now translated to the more larger angola game and philosophy of movement...the toque today represents "the sound of Capoeira or hino ...for both regional and angola I am told{lesser as the gunga and angola rhythm have tended to supersede this}). They are played with a slight variation for Bimbas and pastinhas associated toques. Now the sister toque which is "Apanha laranja no chao" is the money game...it is played a little faster...with a common or particular timing (cadence...). If you want to see the money game, it's in this documentary, about 40 minutes into it:



Oh yes and the Banguela (de Angola) was the knife game...

Here is a razorblade/knife game, for those of you who might be wondering. Although, I don't think the razorbade is real...



hths...



Anyway, I made the necessary corrections, so all is good.

Thanks, Tope!





O.K., Now, I want to show you this amazing video. The scenes were shot at an event I was at last September called THE CAPOEIRA EXCHANGE.







No comments:

Post a Comment